Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Advanced Machines are Noisy

When I started playing Minecraft today, my first order of business was to see how many diamonds I could make. Each home-made diamond requires a full stack of coal to make, and luckily I had enough. I started making the beginnings of an MFSU - an energy storage box that holds up to ten million energy units - when I realized I had completely overlooked one major factor. In order to make an MFSU, you need glowstone dust. I was holding off on making a nether portal until after I had finished the church itself.. but I can't very well do that without a crap-ton of cobblestone.
Machine Shop Surface Entrance
So instead I decided to move my machine shop. When looking into making diamonds, I upgraded my compressor to the advanced version, a "singularity compressor." Along with the rotary macerator, I realized it had made my basement machine shop extremely noisy. Plus, it was such a hassle to run down the one underground hallway to get to the basement, and that's the original reason I had stuck an extra macerator in the storage warehouse.

So instead, I moved it all to a more centralized location. The machine shop is now part of the main underground intersection, sharing it with the storage warehouse, my basement, and the underground part of the solar tower. And since I was moving the machine shop, I decided to go through with at least part of the "centralized power system" idea.
Underground Machine Shop

The bottom of the solar tower now has an MFE storing power directly from the panels above. The energy is then routed along wires below the wooden panels to the nearby machine shop, including another MFE specifically for tool recharging while I build things.

You'll notice a pair of extra blocks on either side. Those are automatic crafting benches. Normally they're used in conjunction with BuildCraft pipes to take a bunch of ingredients and automatically make a finished product. The reason I made them is because they also work exactly like a normal crafting bench with the added bonus that items placed in it won't be thrown out if you close the crafting window.

I'm still planning on making that quarry, it's just going to take a little longer than expected. The quarry itself will take four diamonds, and if I plan on using BuildCraft's combustion engines to power it, I'll need to gather some of the oil I found the other day, and maybe refine it into fuel, which will require another few diamonds and engines.

I remember a time when I had trouble thinking of projects to do around NameWorld. Now I've got more ideas than I seem to have time for, and all of them seem as important as the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment