Friday, August 10, 2012

Arboreal Work and More Exploration

New Tree Farms
After building the automated rubber tree farm the other day, and with my quarry doing its thing, I found myself quickly running out of charcoal. In the past I would head off to the nearby tundra and chop down a bunch of trees to fix this. The problem with that was that the chunks containing those trees and replanted saplings weren't staying loaded, and thus when I would return, they'd all still be ungrown.

So I spent some time today to build a new tree farm. This one is set up to house up to five saplings of each of the three varieties of trees, from the tundra, temperate and.. whatever biome the white trees come from. So far I've made it look nice with wooden bordering and walkways, and the trees have been growing nicely on their own. What I'd like is to have grass growing beneath them.. and for that I've set up a "grass highway" from the nearest source all the way to the farm. I wish I had a pickaxe with the Silk Touch enchantment, but every time I tried to make one recently it came out Efficiency.
More Filled-Out Paper Map

Although I haven't yet picked up a new isometric map program to replace Cartograph_G (as the version I was using is now broken due to changes in map creation and storage), I can still get an idea of how the immediate area looks with a paper map. As you can see, I spent some time today exploring to get it filled out more. Sinkhole Mine is all the way to the right side of the map, and the volcano I found can be seen to the north-east corner.
Partially Flooded Village...

When I went south-east, however, I found something interesting. Another village, this time curiously flooded. There was a blacksmith's shop, and inside I found an iron helm, some bread and five obsidian. After investigating the new village a bit more, I turned to make another discovery. Behind it stood a huge, double-volcano whose side had been cut flat by the creation of the village itself.
...Adjacent to Active Volcanoes

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this village, if anything. It doesn't feel right to destroy it, but there wouldn't be much point in rebuilding it to the extent that I have my home village. Maybe I'll run a set of rails out to it and do just that once I've run out of things to do back home. As far as names go, I think I might call it Volcano Wall Village.

The quarry is still churning away and hasn't yet met bedrock. It's found me a few interesting things, such as a small chasm and a pool of lava that the water thankfully turned into obsidian. The pair of silver chests are almost full, though, and I don't yet have a good way to bring any of it back home. I'll have to cut in a set of rails between the home village and the quarry area, as I'm planning on making another eight or so quarry holes once the first is finished.

2 comments:

  1. I bet that village was made after the Volcano went boom, and then they had to reinforce their buildings after a flood with cobblestone and the like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After looking at the images for a while, I kind of do want to fix that village like I have the first. There likely won't be much in the way of storage or machine shops, but it'll still be fun.

      Maybe I'll make the fruit tree orchards out by it, since having those in the desert doesn't make as much sense.

      Delete