Thursday, February 16, 2012

It is The Year 2012 and it is time... for MineCraft!

I am an avid MineCraft fan, though given that I started this blog at all means you probably already knew that. Seeing YouTube videos of mine carts, storage carts and powered carts in action basically sold me on the game as I love trains. It may have started out as a sort of giant, three-dimensional train set, but it's since grown to encompass the whole of the game. Even without mods the game is one of my all-time favorites.

One of my favorite things to do is show off the stuff I've created in-game. Sometimes I'd do this by sending my world save to friends, and other times I'd use a program like Cartograph (now Cartograph_G) to take an overhead image of the world so I could point out different geographical aspects. With the addition of mods I'm generally unable to do this as not everyone I'm friends with uses the same mods as me and most mapping programs don't include the blocks and world features that mods add.

So I hit upon a new idea to show off my game. Screenshots! That way I could take little pictures of different parts of my MineCraft world and show them off with little text blurbs that explain things they're seeing, what made me build a thing in such a way or what a project is going to be when it's finished.

And so I made this blog.

I considered restarting my current world when I decided I wanted to make a screenshot blog to go along with it, but I've spent a decent amount of time on it already and wouldn't like to redo everything I've done. The first few entries into this blog will be some screenshots taken of my world as it currently is and some explanation as to what I've got planned.

But first, I'll explain some of the mods I'm using. Links to their respective wikis are on the right.

  • IndustrialCraft2 - Probably the mod I've fallen in love with the most. It adds a bunch of extra ores and several devices such as electric furnaces, extractors, macerators and compressors, generators you can fuel with normal coals and woods and even one that works with lava. It also adds amazing items like mining drills, battery backpacks and powered armor that allows you to run faster, jump higher and breathe underwater.
  • BuildCraft - I don't know all that much about this one yet. There's several kinds of engines used to power things like liquid pumps, liquid storage tanks, item sorting machines and automated quarries. This might also be the mod that includes the ability to carve normal blocks into smaller components to be used in decorations.
  • RailCraft - Although the few rails that vanilla MineCraft has are more than enough for most anything I needed them to do, this mod adds a bunch of extra kinds. Switches, signals, rails that move carts vertically up the side of blocks and even high-speed rails that cause explosions if the cart comes to a sudden stop!
  • Integrated Redstone Power - I honestly have no idea what this mod does! I think it has to do with condensing certain redstone power functions such as and/or gates and whatnot into single-block plates for ease of use. Not that I fully understand even the most basic of redstone widgits.
  • Forestry Mod - This one is small but sweet. You can craft a rake to hope and find apple, lemon, cocoa and orange seeds that can be used to plant trees that will occasionally drop fruit on their own. These fruit can be used to craft drinks and things like chocolate bars. Also, mint leaves and plants.
  • TerrariaTrees - A mod that I could honestly take or leave, but I very much enjoy how quickly it speeds up my wood gathering. In the game Terraria (also a great game, and I hope any comments here won't devolve into "X is better than X" arguments), whenever you chop away the bottom log of a tree, the whole tree falls. This mod makes the vanilla trees in MineCraft act the same way.
  • Agricultural Mod - I'm not even sure of the name of this one, but I'm pretty sure it's in there too. This one adds stuff like beekeeping and crop fertilizer. I don't have a link to a wiki about it, so for the most part I'm ignoring this stuff until later.

And that's about it. At least, those are the ones I've investigated into a bit. A friend of mine named Cadloas invited me to play MineCraft at his friend's server and sent me an RAR full of mods with a handy little loader program called Magic Loader. It made installing it all amazingly easy.. but that's about where my technical know-how concerning mods ends. As I learn more, you'll be sure to hear it.

Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment